Created in 2017 to acknowledge and honour the accomplishments and contributions of South African dance music artists, DMASA got to award the hard working, publicly-recognized individuals who are pushing boundaries and driving South Africa’s thriving dance music industry forward.
The Dance Music Awards SA had grown rapidly with the support from the SA music industry over the past three years and last night played testament to that.
The third annual Dance Music Awards South took place in Ekurhuleni last night, and what a celebration it was. Following the three month selection process with over 21 dance music categories, the winners voted by the fans, were announced and honoured.
AND THE DANCE MUSIC AWARDS SOUTH AFRICAN WINNERS ARE:
- REMIX OF THE YEAR – SculpturedMusic – Sad To Think (Fka Mash Remix)
- COMPILATION OF THE YEAR – House Afrika Presents Mzansi House Vol. 9
- BEST UNDERGROUND RECORD – !Sooks & Avi Subban – Oasis
- BEST RECORD LABEL – House Afrika
- BEST PRODUCER – SculpturedMusic
- BEST MUSIC VIDEO – Dwson Feat. Sio – Nobody Else
- BEST MALE VOCALIST – Lazarusman
- BEST MALE DJ – Shimza
- BEST LIVE ACT – Black Motion
- BEST INTERNATIONAL PRODUCER – Atjazz
- BEST INTERNATIONAL DJ – Atjazz
- BEST HOUSE RECORD – Prince Kaybee Ft Msaki – Fetch Your Life
- BEST GQOM RECORD – Distruction Boyz – Amaxoki (Feat. Dj Tira & K Dot)
- BEST FESTIVAL – Shimza One Man Show
- BEST FEMALE VOCALIST – Simmy
- BEST FEMALE DJ – DJ Buhle
- BEST EDM RECORD – Pascal & Pearce w/ Locnville – I Got Ya Babe
- BEST DANCE RADIO SHOW – 5FM – Selective Styles w/ Kid Fonque
- BEST CLUB OR CLUB NIGHT – AND Club
- ALBUM OF THE YEAR – Black Coffee – Music Is King
- BEST AMAPIANO RECORD – DJ Maphorisa & Kabza De Small – Amantombazane
The ‘Pioneers of Dance Award’, an accolade which pays homage to and gives recognition to a legendary dance music contributor (local or international) was also announced at this year’s ceremony. This is the one award not voted for by the public but rather by different dance music industry players.
Winner of the prestigious Promoter of the Decade Award 2018 Jsik Bouhbot, alongside DMASA’s own Ricardo Da Costa and other DMASA committee members after long deliberation chose two winners for this year’s awards. The recipients of this year’s award went to international dance music royalty Osunlade and South African living legend Lady Lea.
§Big winners for the evening included one of SA’s biggest exports Shimza who walked away with two awards for Best Male DJ and Best Festival. SculpturedMusic took Best Producer and Remix of the Year. Overseas based Atazz also took two awards for Best International DJ and Best International Producer. House Africa took Best Compilation Of the Year and Best Record label while SA’s favourite Black Coffee got Album of the Year.