Spotify Wrapped 2021 Is Here With A New Exciting User Experience
If 2020 was the year that flipped the world on its head, 2021 was the year that we got used to seeing things upside down. With “normal” thrown out the window, the world embraced the unknown and championed all the things that make everyone unique. Spotify’s 2021 Wrapped is a celebration of this, the millions of weird and wonderful ways to listen and live in a world that continues to keep everyone on their toes.
Today, Spotify is unveiling its annual 2021 Wrapped results and personalised user experience inspired by just that.
At the same time, Spotify is revealing the top artists, albums, and songs from the creators that helped soundtrack the year for more than 381 million users worldwide.
So, how did South Africans listen this year? (A breakdown of most streamed lists included below).
- International rappers led the list of the most streamed artists in South Africa. Certified Lover Boy, Drake remained a firm favourite locally as he took the top spot on the list. Drake’s popularity extends further into Africa as he also claimed the top spot in Kenya, Uganda, and Tanzania. Juice WRLD followed in second place with Justin Bieber, Kanye West and The Weeknd making up the top five.
- A feat for the local music industry is the entry of DJ Maphorisa at number eight on the most streamed artists list for South Africa, the only local amongst the international acts.
- AmaPiano creators dominated as the most streamed local artists in South Africa, claiming the first five spots on the list. Unsurprisingly, DJ Maphorisa led the pack followed by fellow Scorpion King Kabza De Small, with newcomers to the list Busta 929, De Mthuda and Mr JazziQ rounding off the top list.
- Makhadzi has had a phenomenal year and it’s no wonder she is included in South Africa’s most streamed local artist list as well as being the most streamed female South African artist in 2021. Her star continues to rise as she received over 9 641 683 streams globally on Spotify in 2021.
- When it comes to the most streamed songs in South Africa over the past year – ‘’STAY (with Justin Bieber)’’ by The Kid LAROI is at number onefollowed by Tiësto’s ‘’The Business’’ and ’’Bad Habits’’ by Ed Sheeran. Sicela nithi hooray for ‘’Umsebenzi Wethu’’ by Busta 929 as it claimed its spot on the top five list at number four followed by Olivia Rodrigo’s ‘’drivers license’’.
- AmaPiano continues its domination of streaming lists – AmaPiano Grooves was the most streamed playlist in South Africa. The genre also owned the most streamed local songs list. The top five most streamed songs were ‘’Umsebenzi Wethu’’ by Busta 929 (#1), ‘’John Wick’’ by De Mthuda (#2), ‘’Izolo’’ by DJ Maphorisa (#3), ‘’Abalele’’ by Kabza De Small (#4) and ‘’Banyana’’ by DJ Maphorisa (#5).
- Drake claimed another top spot with Certified Lover Boy as the most streamed album in South Africa in 2021. This comes as no surprise given the social media popularity and meme virality it garnered in the country since its September release. SOUR by Olivia Rodrigo followed in second, with Ed Sheeren’s ‘’=’’ , Justice by Justin Bieber and the late Pop Smoke’s Shoot For The Stars Aim For The Moon making up the top five.
- Afrikaans vocalist Riaan Benadé’s Spontaan led the most streamed South African albums list with Blxckie – the new kid on the hip hop block – in second place with his debut albumB4Now. Blxckie has also garnered popularity outside of local borders amassing 6 980 769 streams globally on Spotify in 2021. Today’s Tragedy, Tomorrow’s Memory: the mixtape by A-Reece (#3), Undisputed Vol 2 by Busta 929 (#4) andKokovha by Makhadzi (#5) completed the list.
For even more on how the world listened in 2021