Despite 2020 being an unpredictable year for couples looking to tie the knot, new Spotify data shows it hasn’t stopped brides and grooms-to-be from connecting and celebrating the love by streaming their favourite wedding songs and artists these past few months.
Spotify found more than 400,000 user generated wedding-themed playlists have been created, globally, since July this year.
Here’s a few other wedding listening trends Spotify is seeing:
- Micro and digital wedding playlists emerging: While smaller and digital social gatherings have become the norm in 2020, Spotify has found the trend emerging in wedding playlists too, with new alternative user-generated wedding playlists added to the platform this year, including ‘Zoom’ ‘Virtual’ and ‘Micro-Wedding’ in the title.
- Coming together with collaborative playlists: Brides and grooms have continued to create playlists with the help of friends and loved ones with Spotify’s collaborative feature, with nearly 600,000 wedding-themed collaborative playlists found on the platform this year.
With Spotify’s collaborative playlist feature, couples are able to invite friends and family to add, remove and reorder tracks, ensuring everyone gets to hear their favourite romantic tracks and dance floor hits for when the big day comes around and to get into the wedding day spirit at home.
- 137 minutes of wedding tunes: The average length of user-created wedding playlists on Spotify globally is 2 hours and 17 minutes (137 minutes) worth of tunes (or about 35 tracks if you’re counting).
- Ed Sheeran reigns as the wedding king globally: The English mega pop-star behind some of the decade’s biggest wedding day favourites like ‘Thinking Out Loud’ and ‘Perfect’ is the most streamed artist that appears on wedding themed playlists globally on Spotify, also taking the top spot as the most streamed artist here is South Africa on wedding themed playlists.
- And when it comes to the most popular tracks for the big day here in South Africa, “Marry You” by Bruno Mars is the most popular song that appears on wedding playlists, while “Classical Wedding” is the most streamed Spotify wedding playlist amongst listeners.
For a full round-up of top wedding songs and artists, please see below.
Global Wedding Listening Data:
The top 5 most streamed artists that appear on wedding playlists on Spotify GLOBALLY are:
1. Ed Sheeran
2. Bruno Mars
3. Dan + Shay
5. Jason Mraz
The top 5 most streamed songs that appear most on wedding playlists GLOBALLY on Spotify are:
1. ‘Marry You’ by Bruno Mars
2. ‘A Thousand Years’ by Christina Perri
3. ‘Thinking out Loud’ by Ed Sheeran
4. ‘All of Me’ by John Legend
5. ‘Perfect’ by Ed Sheeran
The top 5 most streamed songs that appear most on wedding playlists in SOUTH AFRICA on Spotify are:
1. “Marry You” by Bruno Mars
2. ‘Thinking Out Loud’ by Ed Sheeren
3. ‘A Thousand Years’ by Christina Perri
4. ‘All Of Me’ by John Legend
5. ‘Marry Me’ by Train
Download the Spotify app via the Android or iOS app store or by heading to www.spotify.com.